Now, February 2022
🆕 What’s New?
Wow, it’s been a big month. As planned, my wife and I moved from Ohio, our home of five years, to the middle of the Adirondack Park. It was difficult to say goodbye to the places that had become so familiar and even harder to say goodbye to the friends we made there. But, our new home is cozy after some much-needed nesting, the area is gorgeous, and the neighborhood is friendly and welcoming.
We were also lucky enough to get ahead of the worst of Omicron when we celebrated Christmas with our families earlier in December. With vaccinations all around, it was wonderful to not worry so much about the pandemic and enjoy our time together sans masks. Same with our goodbye party with friends around the New Year. Boosters made us all more comfortable, and it felt like old times hanging out and playing games together.
Packing, traveling and then unpacking meant that my computing setup was simplified down to just my iPhone and iPad for a week or so. Honestly, it wasn’t so bad. The Magic Keyboard makes the iPad into a worthwhile laptop, and I’ve spent enough time optimizing my workflows to be mostly platform-agnostic. That’s not to say I wasn’t glad to get the office set up with my Mac — it’s a happy place. 🥰
Exploring our new town has been a ton of fun, and I’m getting to know the area quite well through driving for DoorDash. We’ve hiked, ice skated, and weathered the freezing temperatures and heavy snowfall. Starting this weekend will be an annual Ice Festival in town, which is sure to be a hoot. ❄️
📱 Apps I’m Trying
Endel - My subscription to Brain.fm expired, and I was never super happy with its lack of shortcuts or overall design. Endel is expensive, but so far, I’ve been enjoying their free, algorithmically generated music to help me focus and wind down. Matthew Cassinelli also put out a bunch of shortcuts for controlling Endel in his newsletter.
Last.fm - The Apple Music vs. Spotify debate often comes down to music discovery. I’m not switching to Spotify, so I’m trying out Last.fm, which tracks my music playback (with Marvis on iOS, Sleeve on macOS) and offers both recommendations and exciting insight based on my listening history.
Caset - This one just appeared on my radar, so I haven’t gotten to use it yet. But supposedly, it will let you make collaborative playlists. They have to be edited in the apps, and playback has to start there, too, but the shared playlists are another feature I wish Apple would copy from Spotify.
Soor - My last music-related pick. I’ve used Soor on my phone for years, but they finally released an iPad app. I don’t know if it’ll pull me away from Marvis, but Soor does make better use of the iPad screen real estate.
Matter - I’m experimenting with Matter again for Read Later items to see if the text parser has improved. I’ll have more to say about it soon, but I’m not yet convinced. Reeder is still on top for me across my devices.
Locket - This is my favorite new app so far. You might have heard about it. Locket lets you send photos to a partner or friends that appear in a widget on their home screen. It’s the kind of focused and well-executed app that is a joy to use.
Nanoleaf - For Christmas, I received a Nanoleaf bulb and light strip. Although I control them from the Home app most of the time, Nanoleaf’s app lets you do some pretty cool lighting effects. I’ve got to play around with it more.
Nextdoor - Being new to town, I wanted a way to ask questions and be connected with the folks around our community. I’m not going back to Facebook, so Nextdoor seemed the obvious choice. I was wary since I’ve heard that it could get pretty bad(read: racist) in the posts, but everything I’ve seen in the app so far has been very positive. And I was able to get a recommendation for a local thrift shop that didn’t show up in Apple Maps!
One Thing - Made for macOS, this app lets you type a short text string right in your menu bar. You can also automate it using Shortcuts or scripts, but I haven’t yet gone down that rabbit hole. Mostly I put little reminders up there.
📚 Stuff I’m Reading
And here are a couple of great articles I read over the last couple of months:
🎵 On Heavy Rotation
Dawn FM by The Weeknd - So listenable! I don’t have a favorite track yet, but I’ve listened through the whole album multiple times. It’s excellent in the background.
tick, tick… BOOM! (Soundtrack from the Netflix Film) by Jonathan Larson, Andrew Garfield, Vanessa Hudgens, Joshua Henry - I liked the movie, but love the soundtrack!
📺 Things I’m Watching
I’ve found a little more time for watching TV and movies lately. I’ve been trying something new this year. I’m reviewing shows and movies as I finish them and posting them to Twitter in a couple of threads:
👨💻 Hobbies I’m Hobbying
When we moved, this house needed a little work in, so I’ve been mainly getting it up to snuff. There’s still a list of chores to do, things to clean out, and areas to set up (gotta get that workout area cleared), but it’s very homey now.
My other big hobby horse lately has been building shortcuts. I’ve had a massive backlog of ideas and no time to put them together. It’s my favorite kind of “programming,” and I can get lost for hours getting them just right. And then several more hours writing about them to post here for others to learn from.
Plus hiking 🚶♂️ and dog training 🦮.
Until next time! 🍻
On HeyDingus Since Last Time
- 7 Things This Week, 2021-12-05
- Leaving Facebook
- 7 Things (Which Are My Most Used Emojis) This Week, 2021-12-12
- Bird Watching
- 7 Things (Which Are My Favorite Christmas Albums) This Week, 2021-12-19
- 🔗 ‘The COVID Carousel’
- 🔗 Flighty Pro Goes Free for the Most Hectic Travel Day of the Year
- 🔗 HomeKit + Ultra-Wideband Is Amazing
- 7 Things This Week, 2021-12-26
- A Few Desk Setup Additions: Winter 2021
- The HeyDingus 2021 Favorites
- Looking Back at the First Year of HeyDingus
- 7 Things This Week, 2022-01-02
- 🔗 Customizable Notifications on Mac
- 7 Things (Which Are Some Cool Shit From CES) This Week, 2022-01-09
- 7 Things (I Learned While Moving) This Week, 2022-01-16
- 🔗 The Revolving Door for Apple’s Top PR Job Gets Another Go Round
- 🔗 Just Remove the Computing Bits
- Quick Tip: Take a Precisely Timed Screenshot on iPadOS
- 7 Things This Week, 2022-01-23
- 🔗 My Watch Now Scores Me on My Readiness for the Day
- 🔗 The Case for Using Ultra Wideband for Lossless and More
- Search Better with Keyword Search and Shortcuts
- 🔗 ‘Wordle May Be Fixed, but the App Store Is Still a Total Mess’
- Pixels Barely Reach Toddling Age Before Google Gives Up On Them
- Shortcuts Tips: Search for Stock Photo
- 🔗 ‘Google abandons FLoC, introduces Topics API to replace tracking cookies’
- Apple Makes the Pilot Episode for Its Latest Series ‘The Afterparty’ Available to Watch on YouTube
- Shortcuts Tips: Copy as Embedded YouTube Video
- 🔗 DHH on Apple Talking Out of Both Sides of Their Mouth About Security
- 7 Things This Week, 2022-01-30
- Shortcut Redux: An Even More Accessible WordleBot
- The macOS Photo Library Picker Doesn’t Have to Be So Slow
- Shortcuts Tips: Contextualize Your Tasks with Shortcuts Run from URLs
- PS5 vs. iPad Shipments
- 🔗 ‘An Assortment of Links and Observations Regarding the Neil Young –Joe Rogan Spotify Saga’
- 30 Days of Silence